Saturday, October 9, 2010

Life in the Olden Days

We are learning about George Washington.  I learned that George Washington looks really serious in his portrait because his teeth were bothering him.  His teeth were false teeth and made from hippo's teeth.  Also, I learned people used to call him "Your Magesty" but he said call me "Mr. President".  That is why Presidents are still called that today.

Goerge Washington loved hoecakes for breakfast.  So, we made them.  First, we had to mix all the ingredients together and put it on the stove. YUUUUUuuummmmm....they were soooooo good!!

I learned that Jockey Hollow is a big place.  I also learned Jockey Hollow had over a thousand soldier huts.  10,000 to 13,000 soldiers that had to walk in barefeet through snow, because they boiled their leather shoes for food.

3 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds very interesting. I guess George didn't eat a lot of taffy!!! I can't wait to try those hoecakes. Uncle Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time learning about George. He's the only president who did not campaign for the presidency. He believed candidates should stay home and let the people decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the hoecakes are the best, they are like pancakes but without a suger taste!!!

    ReplyDelete